A Jerry James Stone Recipe
CategoriesGreen, Side Dish, Vegetarian, Yellow
Jump to instructions
- 1 lb fresh broccoli
- 1 tbsp sea salt, divided
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Create a roux by warming and melting the two tablespoons of butter in a large skillet and adding one tablespoon of flour. Whisk well until all of the flour is incorporated. If you like your sauce on the thicker side, use 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Slowly add in 1 cup of milk. While whisking to combine, bring the mixture to a low simmer over a medium heat. Do not boil. Once it is simmering, cook for 2 minutes.
- Why the mixture is coming up to a simmer, bring a sauce pot filled with water to a boil. Add the sea salt, minus a pinch or two.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 1 minute, just until it turns a brighter green. It will be on the crunchy side, cook for 2 minutes longer for a more tender broccoli.
- Once the broccoli is cooked as desired, transfer it to an ice bath to stop the cooking. Let rest for a few minutes but do not chill the broccoli for too long. You just want to stop it from cooking.
- After the milk mixture has cooked for 2 minutes, remove from heat. Add in the cheddar cheese, ¼ cup at a time, stir until fully melted and incorporated, then repeat. Do until all cheese is mixed in. Do not do this step over any heat as the sauce can break.
- Salt the sauce with the pinch of salt if needed.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli and serve. Enjoy!