- 3 cups of water
- 16 prunes, pureed
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of clove
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small orange
- 1 small grapefruit
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- 1 cup cream
- Add 3 cups of water and the 16 pureed prunes to a medium saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of steel cut oats, ½ cup hemp hearts, ½ teaspoon sea salt, 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, pinch of clove, and 1 tablespoon of butter to the boiling mixture.
- Mix to combine, bring to a low simmer, and cover. Stirring the mixture occasionally, cook the oats for 15 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed and the oats are tender.
- Line a bread loaf tin with parchment paper and transfer the cooked oats to the pan. Let the oatmeal stand at room temperature and cool for at least an hour.
- Slice both the orange and the grapefruit into thick cut half slices. Lay the slices out on a baking sheet and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Divide ½ cup granulated sugar between the slices, coating a slice at a time and then bruleeing it with a food torch. You may need to pat the slices dry even more during this.
- Once the oatmeal has set, lift it out of the loaf pan by the parchment paper. Cut the oatmeal loaf into four equal pieces.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a cast iron skillet over a medium heat.
- Once butter is melted and begins to bubble and sizzle, add the oatmeal slices to the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown and seared.
- Don’t over stuff the skillet as the oatmeal cakes are pliable and need some room to flip. You may have to sear them in batches depending on the size of your skillet.
- Serve the seared oatmeal topped off with bruleed fruit and ¼ cup pistachios and 1 cup cream divided between the cakes. Dust with even more cinnamon.
How to Store Oatmeal
Keep dry oatmeal in an airtight container and store it in a cool, dark, and dry place. Stored properly, it will keep for up to 2 years. If the oatmeal is unstabilized, it will last about 6 months.
Stabilized oats are steamed when they are processed to knock out lipase to extend their shelf life, but reduces their nutrient value. Unstabilised oats have not been subjected to such processing.
How to Store Hemp Hearts
Technically in the nut family, hemp hearts are the shelled or hulled interiors of seeds cultivated from the hemp plant. They should be stored in a sealed container in a cool, dark and dry place where they will keep for 6 months. They’ll keep for a year stored in the fridge.
How to Store Citrus
It looks great in a bowl on the counter but this is the worst way to keep citrus fresh. Store citrus in a bag in the refrigerator. Stored this way, it will keep fresh for months.
How to Brulee Fruit
You want to brulee the sugar quickly after coating a fruit slice so the sugar doesn’t have time to get wet. Once you add sugar to the fruit, it begins pulling juice out of the slices.
How to Toast Oatmeal
You can toast dry oatmeal in a skillet before cooking it. Browning the oats – the Maillard reaction – adds caramel and nutty notes to the finished product.
How to Use Butter
Butter kept in the freezer will last for about a year, much longer than when kept in the fridge. Pre-cut butter into tablespoons and easily break off what you need without having to remove it from the freezer.
Citrus Peel Candy
Did you know that 40% of the food grown here in the US is thrown away! You can help fight food waste by candying citrus peels. They are great dipped in chocolate with a little sea salt.