- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 bunch carrots
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 3 large leaves kale, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Prepare the carrots by trimming off the roots and greens. Save the greens. They can be used in the pesto we are about to make, blended into green smoothies, or chopped up in a salad. They are nutritious and high in fiber.
- Melt the butter in a shallow dutch oven over a medium heat.
- Add the carrots, sauteing them for about 5 minutes, until they have a nice sear on them and begin to soften.
- Add in the ½ teaspoon salt, garlic, and vegetable broth.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, to bring the liquid to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down for a low simmer and cover.
- Cook the carrots for about 10 minutes, flipping them halfway through. They should be fork-tender when done.
Kale Pesto Couscous
- Add the water to a saucepot and bring to a boil. Add the ¼ teaspoon salt. Only do this once the water is boiling or it may damage your pan.
- Add the pearl couscous, turn the heat down for a low simmer, and cover. Cook for 10 minutes until tender.
- Let’s make the pesto! Add the kale leaves, 1 teaspoon salt, and pine nuts to the bowl of a food processor. Add the olive oil and puree until smooth.
Braised Carrots & Kale Pesto Couscous
- Remove the carrots from the dutch oven. Bring the sauce to a boil to reduce by ½ .
- Fluff up the pearl couscous, letting it fully dry out.
- Add the couscous and pesto to a mixing bowl and mix until fully coated.
- To plate, put a heaping scoop of the couscous on a plate and spread out. Add the braised carrots. Drizzle some of the braising liquid over the top.
- Top off with chopped parsley and serve.