A Jerry James Stone Recipe
Jump to instructions
- 8 kiwifruit
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ½ lime, juiced
- Sea salt
- You want kiwifruit that is firm but ripe because the mushier it is, the harder it will be to dice. But go ahead and cut the kiwis into quarter-inch cubes. If you need some tips and tricks on peeling kiwifruit, check out my video: 3 Ways to Peel Kiwi. It will make your life easier (and tastier). FACT: A single serving has almost three-times the recommended daily allowance for vitamin C. And a single kiwi has more potassium than a banana and two--well, two kiwis kinda looks like testicles--but they contain more fiber than a bowl of bran cereal.
- Next chop up your red onion. Now, if you're a cryer -- I mean when chopping onions, not like during sex or anything -- check out my video on why onions make you cry?
- Add the minced jalapeno, chopped cilantro, and lime juice to a large mixing bowl along with the kiwifruit and red onion. Gently mix it together, as to prevent this salsa from getting mushy. NOTE: Can I just point out that the term “fruit salsa” bothers me? The tomato is a fruit… so the distinction for fruit salsa seems a bit silly. Yet we think of the tomato as a veggie. Why? Well, in 1887, U.S. tariff laws imposed a tax on all imported vegetables, but not fruits. This put the spotlight on the ever confusing tomato. Yes, it’s a fruit… but from a culinary standpoint, it is prepared as a vegetable. Which is exactly what the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1893, declaring it a vegetable, as it is generally served with dinner, and not dessert.
- Go ahead and salt the salsa to taste.
- Transfer it to a small serving bowl and dig in. Now, kiwifruit is delicate so I would go ahead and eat this stuff up within a day or two. Besides, it looks so tasty, how can you resist? NOTE: Your salsa might look different than mine because kiwifruit comes in a variety of colors. Yup, they are not just green. Photo by Crowhurst et al. - BMC Genomics 2008 9: 351.