Kinda Healthy Bourbon Caramel
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 4 ounces California prunes, pureed
Bourbon Caramel Baked French Toast
- 16 ounces thick cut bread
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Kinda Healthy Bourbon Caramel
- 3 pears, quartered
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Melt ½ cup butter in a medium saucepan and add ½ cup cream. Bring to a low simmer and add in 1 cup brown sugar. Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in ½ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons bourbon, and 4 ounces pureed California prunes. Mix to combine.
- Take 16 ounces of thick cut bread, like Texas toast, and cut it into 1-inch strips.
- Coat a 9X13 baking dish with a thin layer of the caramel sauce. Add the bread strips to the baking dish, pressing them down to fully cover the surface. This allows for the bread to absorb the custard and so you don’t end up with scrambled eggs baked on the bottom.
- Whisk together 10 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 cup cream, 2 tablespoons vanilla, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the custard over the bread slices, covering and coating each slice. Lift and tilt the baking dish until all of the bread comes in contact with the custard. Spread the remaining caramel sauce over the top. Top off the french toast with the 3 pears.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- At the 45 minute mark, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place the baking dish in the oven when it comes to temperature.
- Bake the french toast for 30 minutes and then uncover and bake another 15 minutes until the bread on top is crispy.
- Remove from oven and top off with ⅓ cup almonds and dust it with 1 tablespoon powdered sugar.
Shelf Life of Brown Sugar
Brown sugar can last indefinitely as long as it is stored properly. That means no exposure to air or moisture. Even when it bricks up, it is still safe and good to eat.
How to Freeze Butter
Butter is super easy to freeze. You can place it in the freezer in its original packaging and store it for up to a year. I suggest pre-cutting the butter based on use so you can easily break off what you need as you use it.
Shelf Life of Vanilla
Real vanilla extract will last indefinitely. Store it in a cool dark place and use it within 5 years for best flavor.
How to Store Prunes
Keep prunes in an airtight container in the fridge to keep them fresh, moist, and juicy. Sorry for saying moist. They will keep up to a year this way.
Freezing Bread Hack
You can easily freeze bread to keep it around longer. I suggest laying the bread out like fallen dominos, double wrapping it in first plastic and then foil. Then you can easily break of slices as you need them.
How to Soften Brown Sugar
Place brown sugar in the microwave covered with a damp cloth and nuke it for 10 seconds at a time, fluffing it with a fork until softend and ready to use. Careful not to melt.