- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rock salt
- Add 1/2 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup cream, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract to a mixing cup and stir until well combined.
- Add the mixture to a small zipper bag. Now, this is very important. I am not going to advocate any sorta brand here but you definitely want a quality bag. You are going to shake the hell out of this for 5 minutes and, well, if the bag breaks open, it's totally going to suck.
- Now to create the ice cream maker. You just need another zipper bag, one that is much larger than the bag with your ice cream mix in it. And you want to fill that bag with a couple handfuls of ice and about half of the rock salt. The same applies here... you want a quality bag that isn't going to blow up.
- Now place the smaller bag inside the larger bag. Cover it with more ice and rock salt.
- Now the fun part! And, what better way to earn your ice cream than a few minutes of exercise. Wrap the bag in a towel, because it is freaking cold, and shake it for 5 minutes or until the liquid in the smaller bag turns into ice cream.
- You can scoop it out but honestly, just eat it out of the bag. It is easier.
How to Store Vanilla Extract
Real vanilla extract should be stored in a cool dark place, like a kitchen cupboard or the pantry. Do not store above the stove.
Shelf Life of Vanilla Extract
Stored properly, real vanilla extract will last indefinitely, so go ahead and buy that Costco bottle! However, imitation vanilla only lasts a year past the Best By date, so keep it real!