A Jerry James Stone Recipe
Jump to instructions
- 3/4 cup aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 12 ounces raspberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- Strain out a 15 oz. can of chickpeas, and you will be left with about 3/4 cup of liquid. This is called aquafaba. Add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar to the liquid. Note: Save those chickpeas to make this delicious beet hummus!
- Transfer the liquid to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, using the whisk attachment.
- Add in 1 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. Mix on high until the aquafaba fluffs up. It should hold its shape but not be so stiff it doesn't give. Why does this work? Aquafaba is rich in protein, much like egg whites. Whisking it causes the proteins to unfurl and introduces air into the mix. The proteins create a structure around these air bubbles, separating them from the liquid. The cream of tartar helps reinforce those protein bonds, resulting in delicious vegan whipped cream.
- Layer the whipped cream, blueberries, and raspberries.