A Jerry James Stone Recipe
Jump to instructions
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup coarse ground corn meal
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large organic egg
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- Quinoa & Coffee Chili
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ½ cup buttermilk, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and egg until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ½ cup flour, ½ cup cornmeal, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and combine fully. It is important to always go from wet to dry to avoid overworking your flour, and lumps. The other way can result in a rubbery dough, and unless you are making chew toys, we just don’t want that! Fold in the cheddar cheese.
- Add the chili to your skillet and spoon the cornbread mixture on top. Of course I used my quinoa chili (shown above) but you can use whatever chili you like. But really, any other chili would be doing it wrong.
- Top each spoonful with a slice of jalapeno and some of the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and the cheese is melted and somewhat crispy. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread should come out clean when they are finished baking. Serve hot with cold beers. Enjoy!