A Jerry James Stone Recipe
CategoriesBaked Good, Vegetarian
Jump to instructions
- 3 ¼ cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper, more for finishing
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Cut in the ¾ cup butter. The butter should be unsalted, very cold, and cut into cubes to easily work it in. Cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs.
- Mix in the grated cheddar cheese. Stir in the buttermilk and honey. Mix until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a 5-inch round.
- Melt the remaining butter and let it cool slightly. Brush the rounds with the melted butter and top them off with even more freshly cracked pepper.
- Cut each round into 6 slices and place them on the baking sheet. Bake the scones for 12-15 minutes until the tops are golden.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!