A Jerry James Stone Recipe
CategoriesFood Waste, Yellow
Jump to instructions
- 5 lemons
- ⅓ cup peppercorns
- ¼ cup sea salt
- Wash, dry, and zest the five lemons.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the lemon zest to the baking sheet. Add the 1/3 cup peppercorns to the zest. I did a mix of black and pink peppercorns. Any mix will do. FACT: Pink peppercorns are not true peppercorns, such as green, white, and black peppercorns. They are harvested from the Brazilian pepper tree and marketed as "peppercorns" because of the similarities in shape and size.
- Spread out the zest and peppercorns to an even layer, then bake in your oven on the lowest setting, until the zest is completely dried out. This will vary due how wet the zest is and the temperature range of your oven. Mine took about 40 minutes at 170 degrees F.
- Grind up the peppercorn-zest mixture in a spice grinder. I like mine a bit coarse.
- Transfer the ground up mixture along with 1/4 cup salt to a small mason jar, shake, and enjoy. You may want to add half of the salt and taste. Adjust accordingly.