We know this is a bit bothersome, but both Amazon and Apple make it tricky to share free e-books. They don’t get a cut if it’s free! That said, just follow the simple steps below to transfer your e-book to your device. If you have problems transferring the file to your device, just message us via Kickstarter for support.
Use these directions to read on your Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire, etc.
- Download the e-book to your computer. Select the format for Kindle e-readers, PC’s, and Macs (
- Connect the e-reader to your computer with the USB cable. The reader should appear as an external drive, similar to a USB stick or SD card.
- Open the e-reader from your computer. If there is a folder called “Books,” copy the
.mobi you downloaded to that folder. If there’s not a “Books” folder, there should at least be a “Documents” folder; copy the
.mobi there instead if there’s no “Books”.
- Eject the reader from your computer. The book will show up under “Books” or “Docs” (this varies between different models of Kindle) in “Device” mode.
Apple Mobile Devices
Use these directions to read on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod.
- Make sure you have the Kindle for iPhone/iPod or Kindle for iPad installed, but not currently running (return to the home screen before starting the next steps).
- Download the e-book to your computer. Select the format for Apple mobile devices (
- Connect the Apple mobile device to your computer.
- Open iTunes on your computer, and navigate to your device; there should be a button for it labelled “iPhone”, “iPad”, or “iPod”, towards the top of the window.
- Select the “Apps” tab.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom of the “Apps” tab, to the “File Sharing” section.
- Select “Kindle” in the “Apps” list in the “File Sharing” section.
- To the right of the “Apps” list, a “Kindle Documents” list should appear. Drag the
.azk file you downloaded into that list.
- Open the Amazon Reader app on the mobile device. “Holidazed” should now show up in your library.
Use these directions to read on your Mac or Windows PC.
- Make sure you have Kindle for Mac, Kindle for Windows 8, or Kindle for Windows 7/XP/Vista reader installed on your computer.
- Download the e-book to your computer. Select the format for PC’s, Macs, and Kindle e-readers (
- Drag the downloaded
.mobi file to the Kindle reader application; the book should open in the Kindle reader, and now be available in the reader’s library.